New Facebook Hoax 2012: Can Electricity Pass Through Flash Light of the Digital Camera to Your Body?



I recently saw this share from my lovable Facebook friends claiming a boy was burned because electricity passed through the flash of the digital camera to his body.

The Facebook Share comes with a matching picture of a locomotive train and some electrical overhead lines encircled and with the text “Can ELECTRICITY pass through Flash light of the Digital camera to your body??? Yes it is 100% true..!” added to the image file.


Image Credit: facebook.com

Unlike the Child with Cancer Image + Facebook Will Pay Three Cents Per Share Hoax, this one does not have the charity angle. But the story is full of absurdity, loopholes and contains the usual tactics from old email hoaxes.

The presence of usual text like:
1. ” MUST READ” ” MUST READ” ” MUST READ” (scare tactic)
2. Yes it is 100% true (eager to prove that story is not a HOAX, prove it with facts not with the words “100% true”)
3. SHARE THIS INFO TO WHOM YOU CARE.( Click Share ) ( Touch the emotional side, get sympathy)
makes me really suspicious.

Searching for the hospital name in question (Keshavani Hospital, Mumbai) will either lead you to similar stories (longer version posted on year 2008 to 2011) or claims that there is no such burn treatment hospital in Mumbai.

Lastly, I am not an electrical engineer nor an expert on electricity but I really find the electricity passing through light claim absurd and against my basic electrical concepts course in college (was it ELDE 313(?)).

So my conclusion is: either the story lacks factual evidence as presented and is incomplete or just a make-believe story and is therefore a new Facebook HOAX.

Read the whole story posted in Facebook below:

” MUST READ” ” MUST READ” ” MUST READ”

Can ELECTRICITY pass through Flash light of the Digital camera to your body??? Yes it is 100% true..!

This is a true incidence reported of a boy aged 19, who was studying in 1st year of engineering, who died in Keshvani Hospital, Mumbai. He was admitted in the Hospital as a burned patient. Reason ??????

This boy had gone to Amravati (a place located in State of Maharashtra ) on a study tour, on their return they were waiting at the railway station to catch the train. Many of them started taking pictures of their friends using “Mobile Phones” and / or “Digital Camera”. One of them complained that, he was unable to capture the full group of friends in one frame in the Digicam.

This boy moved away to a distance to get the whole group.

He failed to notice that at an angle above his head, 40,000 volts electrical line was passing through.
As soon as he clicked the digital camera? 40,000 volt current passed through the camera flash light to his camera and then from his camera to his fingers & to his body. All this happened within a fraction of a second. His body was half burned.

They arranged for an ambulance & his burned body was brought to Keshavani Hospital, Mumbai.

For one & half days or so he was conscious & talking. Doctors did not have much hopes as there was a lot of complex issues in his body. He passed away later.
Now how many of us are aware about these technical threats & dangers? Even if we are, how many of us are adhering??

Now should we call ourselves as educated and knowledgeable people?
???????????????????????????????
* Please avoid mobile phones on petrol outlets.
* Please avoid talking on mobile phones while driving.
* Change that “Chalta Hai Yaar Attitude”.
* Please avoid talking on mobile phones while kept in charging mode without disconnecting from wall socket.
* Please do not keep mobile phones on your bed while charging and / on wooden furniture.
* Avoid using mobile phones / Digital cameras near high voltage electrical lines like in railway stations and avoid using flash.

SHARE THIS INFO TO WHOM YOU CARE
.( Click Share )

And by the way, some good advice was shared in the end! But most of these are self explanatory suggestions and I will not dispute it one by one here :).

I guess the post above is enough for a day’s worth Facebook Hoax Busting.

Related stories in the net:

http://community.discovery.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9551919888/m/59419029901

I will update this post if I have other related reliable stories (supporting it or disputing the claim).



Tagged: ,